Saturday, February 9, 2013

Its All About Location, Location, Location

I've been working on a world for many years, but the only progress I have made is having the rooms made. The world has changed over and over and over again. These changes weren't just style updates or room updates. They were story changes too. The entire environment was changed! These maps will help you understand how much my ideas have changed:

Long ago, I had the idea to have a snow covered world. In this arctic location, I had unique snowy characters. This first world had all of the basic ideas for the upcoming ones. Most of my worlds' room ideas came to me while creating this world. (The random patch of grass on the left was because I didn't like having only snow).

Later on, I realized that one snowy game is enough and that having mine would be too much. I switched over to a warmer location with grass and bigger mountains and more trees. This world's colors were much better. Also, while some of the rooms moved to other parts of the island, many stayed put (some rooms were removed).

I had this idea of a world in the sky. I changed my island into a floating one. You may notice that it is very similar to the world before it. The only big change here is the new location.

Having a world in the sky was unique and all, but it really bugged me that there was no ocean. I wanted so badly for there to be an ocean around my island. I switched back to the location of the second island, but I changed the island shape and style as well.

The location of these worlds changes them very much. If you are making or plan on making a world, try to choose where you want it to be. Otherwise you could be like me and keep changing it until you find a good place to stay.

Stay put
—Alex Eskimo

No comments:

Post a Comment